Stirbei Palace is situated on Victoriei
Street. It is an elegant building decorated with Greek architectural
elements (columns, caryatids) realized in 1833-1835 under
the supervision of the architect Michael Sanjouand. The building
functioned as the private residence of Prince Barbu Stirbei.
The House of the Telephones
The House of the Telephones is
situated on Victoriei Street. It was built in 1933 under the
supervision of two American architects Louis Weells and Walter
Froy, being at that time the highest building in Bucharest.
The Odeon Theater
The Odeon Theater is situatedon
Victoriei Street. On this location it used to exit thehouse
of Costache Ghica. The present theater is the only one from
Europe which has a house with a sliding ceiling.
The Zlatari Church
Zlatari Church is situated on Victoriei
Street nearby the Romanian National History Museum. It was
built in 1637 on the spot of an old one made of wood and after
that it was rebuilt in 1715 thanks to the sword bearer Mihai
The Kretzulescu Church
Kretzulescu Church is situated
on Victoriei Street. It was built by the great Chancellor
Iordache Kretzulescu and his wife Safta-one of the daughters
of Prince Constantin Brancoveanu. In 1859-1860 the artist
Gheorghe Tattarescu realized the inner painting
The Princess’s Church
The church is situated on Victoriei
Street. It was founded in 1683 by Princess Maria, the second
wife of Serban Cantacuzino. It is made of bricks, the doors
are very richly carved and the painting was realized by Constantinos.
Victoria Square was named in the
past Capul Podului (the End of the Bridge) because here Podul
Mogosoaiei Street (the Mogosoaia Bridge Street) was ending.
It was inaugurated in 1831. Its present name dates from 1871.
The "Grigore Antipa"
Natural History Museum
It was built in 1906-1908 and it
was initiated by the scientist Grigore Antipa. It displays
about 300,000 exhibits. The main attractions are the dinosaur
skeleton and a rare butterfly collection. It is situated near
The Victoria Palace, residence of the Romanian Government.
The Romanian Peasant Museum
It is situated on Kiseleff Street.
Contains highly valuable collections: 20,000 costumes, 6 wooden
churches, thousands of traditional wooden and iron objects,
traditional households and decorative objects, pottery, woven
materials, paintings, drawings and photos.
The Victoria Palace
Victoria Palace is situated in
Victoria Square. It was built in 1937–1944 by the architect
Duiliu Marcu replacing Grigore Sturdza’s palace. Today
it houses the Romanian Government.
The Arch of Triumph
It is situated on Kiseleff Street,
in the vicinity of Herastrau Park . It is the replica of the
famous Arch from Paris. It was built in 1922 to commemorate
Romania’s participation in the first World War . The
initial construction was realized by wood. In 1935-1936 the
old monument was replaced by a new one made by granite. The
sculptures which decorate the monument were created by Ion
Jalea, Corneliu Mendrea , Constantin Baraschi and Dimitrie
The Stavropoleos Church
The Stavropoleos Church was built
in 1722- 1724 by the Greek hieromonk Ioanichie. The church
is a UNESCO protected monument. This Orthodox Church combines
late-Renaissance and Byzantine styles with elements of the
Romanian folk-art style. Inside are superb wood and stone
carvings and a richly ornamented iconostasis.
The Cismigiu Garden
Since 1850, Cismigiu Garden has
been the perfect escape from the hubbub of downtown Bucharest
with its lovely gardens and tree-shaded paths. There's a lake
with row boat rentals, a beer garden, children's playground
and numerous park benches for relaxing. Occasional Sunday
concerts are presented in the gazebo.
The Cotroceni Palace
The palace was built in 1893 by
the French architect Paul Gottereau and was meant to be the
permanent residence of Prince Ferdinand. After the renovations
following the earthquake from 1977, Ceausescu made it the
official guest house. In 1991 one wing of the palace became
the residence of the President of Romania. Near the palace
you can find Cotroceni Museum, one of the most appreciated
museums in Europe.
Curtea Veche (The Princely Residence)
Curtea Veche represents the ruins
of the palace built by Prince Vlad the Impaler (named Dracula)
in 1456-1462. Curtea Veche was the princely residence of several
Wallachian princes. Destroyed by the Turks, by fire or by
earthquakes, it now consists only of a few walls and an archway.
Nearby is the Princely Church, built in 1546 by Prince Mircea
Ciobanul. This is where the princes of Walachia were anointed.
It is the oldest church in Bucharest and it is open to the
The Botanical Gardens
The Botanical Gardens is situated
in the vicinity of Cotroceni Palace. It was set up in 1855.
During the World War II it was bombed, but it was rebuilt
afterwards. The gardens occupy 2100 square metres and display
over 10,000 species of plants from all over the world.
Manuc’s Inn was built in
1808 by the Armenian tradesman Emmanuel Marzaian, known as
Manuc-Bey as a stop for the traveling merchants. Presently
the building houses a charming restaurant with wine cellar,
a comfortable hotel and an outdoor café.
It is situated on the shore of
Herastrau Lake, nearby Village Museum. It’s Bucharest's
largest park and has beautiful gardens, walking paths, fountain
pools, open-air restaurants and even an amusement park. Elisabeta
Palace is to be found here.
National Military Museum
One million exhibits representing
guns and combat equipment, uniforms, medals, flags, maps and
plans, harness and horse racing accessories, luggage carriages,
mobile kitchens, royal carriages and even a steam railway
engine used in World War I.
Set up by Dimitrie Gusti in 1936;
it is an ethnographic open-air museum. The peasant houses
and the churches were brought from all over Romania. The museum’s
collection also includes: furniture, pottery, woven materials
The Romanian National Opera
The Romanian National Opera is
situated on Mihail Kogalniceanu Boulevard. It is famous in
the entire world for its past glories (Haricleea Darcle, Zina
de Nori) or for today’s talents: Felicia Filip, Ludovic
Spiess and Viorica Cortez. The Opera was built in 1953 by
the architect Octav Doncescu.
The House of Parliament
The House of Parliament is the
second largest building in the world, after the US Pentagon.
It was built in 1984–1989 by the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu.
Today the building houses the Romanian Parliament.
The Romanian Patriarchate
The Palace, the Residency and the
Patriarchal Cathedral are situated in the area of an old church.
Built in 1658 in classic Romanian style, the building houses
the relics of Bucharest's patron saint, St. Dumitru.
The University Square
The University Square is a symbol
of the events which took place in 1989. The most important
buildings are: the National Theatre, the University of Bucharest,
the Coltea Church and the Intercontinental Hotel. The building
of the University was built in 1857.
The National Theatre
The National Theatre is situated
in the University Square. The theatre was inaugurated in 1852.
In the World War II was bombed and destroyed. The theatre
building was rebuilt in 1973.
Sutu Palace is situated on I.C.Bratianu
Boulevard and it houses Bucharest’s History and Art
Museum. Initially the building was the residence of Costache
Grigore Sutu being built in 1833. The museum was settled in
1921 and displays over 400.000 historical objects.
The Sfantul Gheorghe-Nou (Saint
Location: in Bucharest, the Sfantul
Description: The church was built in 1670 by the ruler Antonie
Voda with the financial support of the Greek Panaiot Nikusios.
In 1698 the Prince Constantin Brancoveanu financed the construction
of a new church which was endowed to the Sacred Tomb from
Jerusalem. In 1847 the church was damaged during a fire and
it was reconstructed in 1852-1853, its appearance being totally
changed. In the narthex there are the tombs of the Prince
Ioan Mavrocordat and the one of the Prince Constantin Brancoveanu.
About the burial of the Prince Constantin Brancoveanu there
is a legend which says that after the massacre which took
place at Istanbul, when the Prince Constantin Brancoveanu
and of his sons were decapitated, the body of Constantin Brancoveanu
was thrown into the sea water and it was secretly recovered
by some believers who buried it at the Halki Monastery, near
Istanbul. Constantin Brancoveanu’s remains were brought
in Romania by his wife, the Princess Maria Brancoveanu, and
they were buried in the narthex of the church founded by the
The Curtea Veche Church
Location: in the centre of Bucharest,
in front of the Manuc’s Inn.
Description: The Curtea Veche Church is considered to be the
oldest religious edifice from Bucharest. The church was built
in 1558-1559 by the ruler Mircea Ciobanul. The mural paintings
were realized by Constantin Lecca and Misu Popp in 1847-1853.
Beginning with the middle of the 16th century and until 1842-1848
during the rule of the Prince Gheorghe Bibescu this church
functioned as the Princely church of Walachia. This is where
the Walachian princes were anointed.